In New England winters I like to ride with layers, typically:
1. Rainlegs - outermost layer - http://www.rainlegs.com/en/home
2. trousers (nylon, denim, wool, or wool blend) with pant leg straps at the
ankles .
3. Baselayer- Patagonia Capilene 3 Midweight Boot-Top Bottoms .(currently
on sale) http://tinyurl.com/mzr7kyj
<http://www.rockcreek.com/patagonia.rc;jsessionid=DFA96DE266BB7A92F59F8ECBEB9A0E74.worker3>