Hi Michael,
I have Big Bens (measure 52mm) and Compass (measure 44-ish) for my
Hunqapillar.

The Big Bens are a wonderful tire. Fast on the streets with little noise,
and great float on the trails. (Going over roots at low pressure-- you
won't even know they're there!)

After reading all the great things about the Compass-- they're true! The
Compass 26" are very fast on the roads. I'm probably shifting up 2+ gears
on the same streets compared to Big Bens (which I don't think are slow).
It's like riding with a tailwind.

I don't have much trail experience with the Compass. Some short stints
haven't shown any downside.

Here's the thing: the Compass are a lot narrower than I'd like. I did pinch
flat it. (I was pushing the bounds, and I'm used to the Big Bens...) If
only the Compass was offered in 2" version!

If I were doing a road tour on my Hunqapillar, I'd choose the Compass. If I
were doing a mixed terrain, I'd choose the Big Bens. (The extra width is
worth it for me.) When I'm pulling my kids, I prefer the Big Bens.

Good luck!
Shoji