Yes, it falls outside the big ring.  And inside the small ring too,
sometimes.

I have not tried angling in the tail end of the derailer, no.

The limit screw is already in as far as I am willing to put it.  It's
already difficult to shift into the big ring, which makes it doubly
perplexing when the chain finally catches and then goes up and over.