Just an amateur builder here, having only built three wheels in my life
(but hoping to do many more).  But I would defer to the rim manufacturer
for recommended spoke tensions. Some extra lightweight rims are not rated
for high spoke tension.  And some rim styles dictate lower or higher
tension (e.g., V-rims generally tolerate more tension).

So far, my three wheels have held up well and haven't needed truing. I
followed Jobst Brandt's "The Bicycle Wheel" from start to finish; seemed to
be a very thorough guide into the physics of it all.

Anton