My method is:

   1. Rotate one crank arm so that it is parallel with the seat tube
   2. measure with a caliper from the outer face of the crank at the pedal
   threads to the far end of the seat tube (i.e., the measurement includes the
   distance to the seat tube AND the diameter of the seat tube).
   3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 for the other crank arm.
   4. Measure the diameter of the seat tube alone.
   5. Add the values you got for each crank arm, and subtract the value
   from step 4 (since it got added twice).

That's your Q.

Anton, who many people consider a quack.