RCW, I too spent some time in music.  Do you remember hearing a universal
tuning note called "A440"? Meaning the string, or whatever, moves 440 cycles
per second. So braking causes some components on your bike to vibrate at the
frequencies called high D (faster) and low E (slower).  I spent less time in
physics, more in engineering, and still can't figure out natural frequency, but
the diameter of a string, its length and its tension might all affect pitch.
Variables like those in a brake squeal situation could include rim diameter,
rim sidewall stiffness/size, length/rigidity of brake arms and pads. Music
instruments are simple by comparison!