I recently changed tires from ~32mm GB Cerfs (very nice tires) to ~41mm
Soma GR Greens (also very nice tires). On reasonable pavement I have not
been immediately bowled over by the differences. Therefore I don't think I
would find the difference between 38 and 42 significant. However it seems
the common wisdom round here is that 42 is much better than 38, so I guess
most who have tried em both feel otherwise.

One reason to run wider tires is to allow lower pressure, for improved
comfort, without getting pinch flats. But I find I can run 32mm tires soft
enough to feel a bit squirmy or wandery without getting pinch flats. So I
am not convinced this purported advantage really works for me.
Another purported advantage of a wider tire is the larger contact patch. At
a given pressure, a wider tire feels harder than a narrower one. When you
reduce the pressure in the wider tire to account for that, you get a larger
contact patch.