"But it is designed to be mounted hanging toward the bottom of the
downtube."
Yup, that's what I meant by above/below, which also could be confusing,
because it's relative to a specific point.

In reality, I doubt it would be the source of your shifting woes. I have a
bike with Suntour Symmetrics shifters (braze-on mount on top of the dt)
that would have the same cable angle to bb guides, and it shifts fine.

David
Chicago