Running hard behind the pack: I finally got over to True Value the other
day and bought a quart of Master Mechanic (the only brand they had) Bar,
Chain and Sprocket oil for $5 and change.

I'd put in 4-5 miles on the '03 Riv on dusty dirt acequia roads (relatively
hard packed thanks to our rains) on shortcuts to pavement, and decided on
today for the bike's semi-yearly thorough cleaning.

(Put bike in stand near hose with bucket of warm water and a bit of dish
soap nearby, with soft brush. Hose down gently, brush, rinse, bounce, dry,
lube. Just like the pros. Since this is a fixed gear with a single brake,
the operations is relatively quick and painless.)

Decanted 2 oz into a little old fashion oil can, the kind with the flexible
bottom and narrow spout, and dropped a drop on each of the chain's links,
and wiped, and wiped again, and again, and again. Damn but that stuff is
wet! Black spots near bottom bracket from spray.

It's certainly more viscous than ProLink and even than the heavier patent
"Purple Extreme" that a shop rat persuaded me to pay $8 for 4 oz but no
more so than the ATF-3 that used to be in the oil can; in fact, it's
lighter than I had anticipated (thinking, I guess, of Phil's). It is also
very clingy.

The chain, at least immediately after the most egregious excess was wiped
off, was very quiet, in the stand.

But I see that this stuff can't be applied in the usual "wipe, dribble, and
wipe" fashion; I'll have to let it dry for 24 hours or at least overnight
and wipe again.

What with the time needed to apply it discretely -- in both senses -- and
the time required for drying and more wiping, I hope that it does last
longer than the other stuff I've been using -- ranging from wax with
various additives to ProLink to Purple Extreme.

I'll be interested to see how many miles go by before the drivetrain starts
sounding noisy.

On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 6:27 AM, 'doc' via RBW Owners Bunch <
rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> There is a big push in the wood industry to switch to bio-degradable bar
> oil.  Motion-lotion (link below) is the leader, but the link is to a large
> scale supply site, so I couldn't find anything smaller than a gallon.  (If
> you really like it, you can order a 55 gallon drum.)  For the petroleum
> based lube, Ace or any Stihl franchise will have it in quart containers.
>
> http://www.baileysonline.com/Chainsaws/Fuel-Lube-Mixes/Bar-Oil/Motion-Lotion-Biodegradable-Bar-Chain-Oil-1-Gallon-Bottle.axd
>

> On Wednesday, June 11, 2014 6:44:07 PM UTC-4, doc wrote:
>>
>> I know this was mentioned in a previous thread, but this last weekend
>> while cleaning the bike I opted to skip the rather pricey liquid teflon
>> spray I've been using the last 7 years.  Instead, I grabbed the gallon of
>> Ace chainsaw bar oil off the next shelf, putting a large dab on a rag, and
>> wiping down the chain to leave just a sheen.  I'm impressed.  The drive
>> train is definitely quieter and I sense the shifts are smoother.  I'm eager
>> to see how it works out over time.
>>
>  --

Resumes, LinkedIn profiles, and letters that get interviews.
Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten

*************************************
  * "Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to never
was there, and where you are is no good unless you can get away from it.
Where is there a place for you to be? No place.*
* "Nothing outside you can give you any place," he said. "You needn't to
look at the sky because it's not going to open up and show no place behind
it. You needn't to search for any hole in the ground to look through into
somewhere else. You can't go neither forwards nor backwards into your
daddy's time nor your children's if you have them. In yourself right now is
all the place you've got. If there was any Fall, look there, if there was
any Redemption, look there, and if you expect any Judgment, look there,
because they all three will have to be in your time and your body and where
in your time and your body can they be?*
* "Where in your time and your body has Jesus redeemed you?" he cried.
"Show me where because I don't see the place. If there was a place where
Jesus had redeemed you that would be the place for you to be, but which of
you can find it?”     -- *Flannery O'Connor,* Wise Blood  *