On Sep 29, 10:57 am, Tim McNamara <tim...@bitstream.net> wrote:
> On Sep 29, 2009, at 9:19 AM, John McMurry wrote:
>
> > On Sep 29, 9:46 am, Bruce <fullylug...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> Weight is more a mental thing than a real physical factor for the
> >> recreational/touring rider.
>
> > I disagree.  For a recreational/touring rider who may stop and start
> > quite often, and doesn't push for high speeds; weight matters and is a
> > real, measurable, physical factor.
>
> > I'm not suggesting gram shaving a commuter at the expense of
> > durability.  But if you're carrying around unnecessary extra pounds;
> > they generally won't add to the enjoyment of riding a bicycle unless
> > your ride is all downhill.
>
> I don't know about that.  I have a 21 lb bike (my old race bike, with
> a heavier and more comfortable saddle than I used to use plus having
> swapped out the Campy Ergo stuff for more "sensible" components) and
> my All-Rounder which weighs in around 28 lbs with fenders, front
> rack, handlebar bag, generator and lights, 30+ year old Brooks Pro,
> etc.  My speeds on the A/R aren't any slower and I enjoy riding it
> much more on hilly or flat rides.

When comparing those two bikes, you introduce too many variables to
accurately isolate only one.

Though, when your A/R handlebar bag is full with a commute load it
will be slower than without it (all else equal).

Not that speed is your goal, and not that a minute off your commute is
a big deal; my point being is that weight makes a real, measurable,
physical difference.  Whether that matters to you or not is a personal
decision.

FYI, I'm perfectly happy, comfortable, and attain enjoyable speeds on
an AHH with 42mm tires, 36 spoked wheels, fenders, bags, dynamo, etc.
(even though I'm measurably faster on my 32 hole White Ind. wheelset
with 30mm tires on the same bike).

-not _intentionally_  poking a bee's nest

John McMurry
Burlington, VT