Clean and lubricated parts work better for sure.Gotta love the toughness of
those Campy parts.I have Campy 10 speed on my road bike.The components
are 12 years old and still works fine.I use a Campy 10spd chain along with
a Wipperman connex master link for easy off and on to clean. For those days
when you'd like to remove the chain but don't feel like doing it, there is
a product I found at the bike shop called: Rock and Roll Lubrication. You
shake it up and apply a steady stream  at the cassette while freewheeling
the chain backwards.After about 5 seconds wipe the chain thoroughly.It
cleans and lubricates. Leaves no oily residue.
Also Rohloff and Park Tools make a "Go-NO-Go gauge that can tell when to
switch out your chain before it wears out your cassette .Also you can
measure your chain stretch with a 12" scale, pin to pin to see how much
your chain has stretched.