One has to exercise reasonable care and the bar for this is quite high when
we drive a 2 ton vehicle at speeds far above what is normally human.

That said, we live in an imperfect world and no one, I repeat no one, can
expect to be fully alert all the time and in every circumstance. That is
why I said "reasonable" care.

We all make mistakes and, yes, we should pay the price for them, but we
should not, and others should not, violently blame ourselves for the
inevitable error.

I have, very inadvertently, done what in retrospect were very stupid
things, both as a driver and as a cyclist, and God, or Providence, or Karma
has kept the results from being worse than they were. The results were far,
far less than they could have been.

I think one needs to add to the immediate responsibility of exercising
care, the duty of cultivating habits of awareness -- generally speaking, to
do everything with the care and attention it deserves. We in the US, at
least, are far, far, far too casual about the responsibilities of driving,
and far, far, far too casual about due awareness and care about all the
things we do daily.

On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 10:26 AM, Allingham II, Thomas J <
thomas.alling...@skadden.com> wrote:

>  Chris said: *“Thanks everyone for the kind words. It's a bit sad we live
> in an adversarial sort of culture, because it's really easy to see this
> incident from both sides. That said, I *was* going straight and the car
> entered my space, so...”*
>

> I haven’t felt like posting much lately, because I was recently on the
> other side of this scenario, and have been going over and over and over my
> recollection of the facts to try to diminish my very powerful feelings of
> guilt.  I was driving home from work, with bright sun and a dappled
> shoulder on the left side of the road caused by shade from large trees
> lining the street.  I needed to make a left turn across traffic (two lane
> road, wide shoulder on both sides), but there were a couple of cars coming
> from the other direction, so I stopped to wait for the cars to go by.  Once
> they passed, I began to turn into my street (slowly, thank God) when a
> cyclist appeared seemingly out of nowhere immediately in front of me.  I
> stomped on the brakes, but didn’t stop in time and hit the cyclist, who
> cartwheeled off her bike.  She remained conscious but suffered a broken leg
> and cuts and bruises.
>

> I wish that I could share Chris’s generosity toward the motorist in this
> circumstance (“it’s really easy to see this incident from both sides…”),
> but honestly I can’t, and it’s been tearing me up.  She had the right of
> way; she was riding entirely lawfully; she was just out for a training ride
> when two tons of steel knocked her off her bike and broke her leg.  I had
> decided not to share this information with the group (at least in part
> because of the shame of it), but Chris’s message changed my mind, and
> perhaps something good can come from it.  I am typically quite a careful
> driver – much more so since I began cycling again 7 or 8 years ago – but
> I’ve redoubled my vigilance since this accident, and I urge others who
> drive cars to do the same.  I still can’t reconstruct how I didn’t see the
> cyclist, and it frightens me to realize that a driver highly conscious of
> cyclists and their rights like me could still make such a horrible
> mistake.  But I’m determined to make sure it will never happen again.
>

> It’s also scary from my perspective as a rider.  I have taken to wearing
> nothing but fluorescent or at least extremely brightly colored cycling
> clothes (the woman I hit was all in black) since the accident, and I ride
> with high intensity flashing lights front and rear in the daytime (equally
> high intensity but not flashing at night).  I don’t really know whether
> these measures help, or whether they would have helped me see the cyclist I
> didn’t see in my case, but I am scared enough that I’m prepared to do
> anything I can to potentially increase visibility.  Everyone makes their
> own decisions, of course, but I would urge you all to give some new
> thoughts to visibility questions as you go forward.  I remain very nervous
> [...]

Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten

*************************************
  * "Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to never
was there, and where you are is no good unless you can get away from it.
Where is there a place for you to be? No place.*
* "Nothing outside you can give you any place," he said. "You needn't to
look at the sky because it's not going to open up and show no place behind
it. You needn't to search for any hole in the ground to look through into
somewhere else. You can't go neither forwards nor backwards into your
daddy's time nor your children's if you have them. In yourself right now is
all the place you've got. If there was any Fall, look there, if there was
any Redemption, look there, and if you expect any Judgment, look there,
because they all three will have to be in your time and your body and where
in your time and your body can they be?*
* "Where in your time and your body has Jesus redeemed you?" he cried.
"Show me where because I don't see the place. If there was a place where
Jesus had redeemed you that would be the place for you to be, but which of
you can find it?”     -- *Flannery O'Connor,* Wise Blood  *