On 09/10/2014 02:05 PM, Anton Tutter wrote:
Most of the 4-5 Brooks saddle's I've bought new in the past five years have had some sort of anomaly or inconsistency in manufacture (some of which like you mentioned), but none bad enough to warrant returning it. The biggest issue I have with them is the poor leather quality-- thinner than on vintage Brooks. They've held up so far, but based on the rate of wear, I wouldn't say these are going to last nearly as long as some of the vintage ones I've found. The used ones that I've found that date back to the 1970s and 80s seem to have thicker leather and give me the impression they'll last decades more...

And it's not like that quality leather isn't out there: Gilles Berthoud seems to have no trouble finding it for his saddles.