I can't complain about my b17 special and my select model, but my basic
black standard brooks b17 didn't hold up as well as they are. The leather
is noticeably thicker on the special and select and I haven't come across
any squeaking or need to adjust the bolt like I have on the standard.
Still, I ride the standard fine, but the leather is thinner.

An alternative to brooks that I have been recently made aware of is Spa
Cycles saddles. http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s204p0   I
have been told that the leather and quality of construction is first rate.
I don't have personal experience with them though.