And IF's start at about $2300 for a frame/fork, so they're not exactly
saving pennies by forgoing lugs.

Gunnars are over $1000 now for a frame. If Riv can get a complete bike with
a few key lugs (my guess: fork, head tube ends, seat cluster, no BB), for
$1500, that's a great deal. That's about what a complete Surly costs.

Eric Daume
Dublin, OH