Rivendell is not "diluting the brand" nor has it been "lugs, lugs, lugs for the
last 20 years". Go back to the early years 94-96ish and there are several
instances where Grant mentions the possibility of a TIG frame. I think as
Rivendell matured they adopted the "always lugged" mantra simply because that
is what they were known for and up to that point had not actually made anything
else. So almost from the beginning there was talk of a TIG bike and then that
talk faded but couldn't it be argued that making a TIG bike is actually
perfectly in line with the original vision of Rivendell and a COMPLETION rather
than a DILUTION of the brand? I would go back and find the quotes from the
early readers but don't have the time/ can't be bothered with something that
matters so little to me.

PS: There is also an early mention of the Bleriot as a coupled travel bike.
This was pre-650b. I always assumed that was the deal with the airplane theme.

Cheers!
Chris