I usually use a smartwool long sleeve shirt with a Showers Pass Touring
jacket.  This is good down to temps of about zero Fahrenheit on my five mile
commute.  On my head I can't say enough good things about my Walz wool cap
with earflaps.  Under my helmet no problems done to zero.
Dan Abelson
St. Paul, MN