So in the midst of this discussion I took the Ram out for a short ride that
included 10+ miles of dirt road.  The bike has Grand Bois Cerf tires which
are not ideal but adequate for dirt roads.  About 7 miles or so from home I
hit a patch of rough ground.  I never heard the rear tire pop but the ride
felt harder than it should have, so I looked back and discovered a flat
 tire.  I have had only three flats on all the bikes this summer and the
first two were discovered in the garage, so I didn't have much to complain
about.  I did however feel less sanguine when I discover a tear in the
spare.  Started walking home on a road with very little traffic.  After a
mile or so a women came bye in an SUV with  a bike rack.  She didn't stop
and offer any assistance, but then I didn't wave her down and ask either.
 Decided I needed to get over the "I can't ask for help" thing and deal
with my male ego.  A mile later a Jetta wagon  with a couple rolled up.  I
asked and got a ride home.

Apropos of earlier posts, in decades of dirt road riding I have had only
one spill.  I was going downhill at about 25 mph when the front wheel went
into a rut and took me down faster than I could say crank set or something
that rhymed with it. Hip, then shoulder, then farhead.  It was blisteringly
hot & humid day and I had taken my helmet off.  A neighbor came along,
looked at the egg growing above my eye and insisted on taking me to the
hospital.  Had the pleasure of getting the gravel washed out of my wounds
and bandaged up, but was otherwise OK.  I worked at the hospital and once a
month I talked to new nurses during orientation.  The one who treated me
remembered my telling her that inflicting pain on other people would take a
spiritual toll.  She said that was true.

Michael