I love my showers pass rain jacket but I live in the N.W. where it
rains and the temps are not too cold in winter. I stop riding when it
gets to around 30 degrees. I ride with cotton sweat pants or my Riv
MUSA pants when it gets cold. I also ride in my regular $10.00 Walmart
jeans for rides up to about ten miles. For the colder days I also have
a pair of MUSA wool "tights" but only used them once last winter. I
ride in my Teva sandals down to about 32 degrees with two pairs of
wool socks one being a artic style Carhartt thick boot sock. I suppose
if I rode in colder temps and for longer than maybe 10 miles I'd pay
more attention to clothing. I'm trying to make my bike clothing the
same as my regular clothing so I've been experimenting and so far most
of my regular stuff is fine for cycling as long as the distance isn't
over 10 or 15 miles. I've also been slowing down my efforts and
attempting to sweat less and this seems to help my comfort level. I
found that for the measly extra 1-2 mph I have to put out quite a bit
more energy without much gain in my fitness or commute times.