Unless your friend has access to the correct crabon fiber cloth, the
correct matrix material, vacuum bonding equipment and heat blankets, it
would indeed be silly to try to implement a repair.  He would not be able
to asses the integrity of the repair otherwise, and it would likely fail
again shortly.  What is his plan for such a splint?   The manufacturer
should stand behind the frame and fix it for him.  It's not a difficult
repair given the right materials and equipment.