I think Eric's points are very well worth considering.  The tighter
tolerances leave little room for error.  If you load your bike in the back
of the car, there is a good chance that the fender will be knocked out of
your perfect line.  If you are prepared to live with that tight tolerance
then maybe tighter is better.  I will admit that my only experience with
sudden failure is having an acorn penetrate my wife's rear fender, which
was open to accommodate horizontal drop outs.
michael