I've been doing this diet since the middle of August, and I've lost 21
pounds to date.  My main reason for adopting the diet was to lose weight,
and increase my level of fitness.  My weight made exercise awful because of
knee and joint pain.  I don't recall any particular difficulties during the
transition period, with the exception of some rather persistent diarrhea.
 There were times when I didn't dare cough!  The diet is not hard for me to
stick to, though I have had dreams about cookies.  I miss bread, but mostly
as a convenience, as in not requiring a knife and fork, or not getting your
hands messy and making for easier lunches to pack.  My blood pressure is
lower, but that's about it, as far as any other health benefit.  As for
what to bring on an overnight ride, one of the things that happens on this
diet is a reduced need and desire to eat, because you are running off your
fat stores.  So you can bring less.  For an overnight, I'd bring nuts,
sardines, hard boiled eggs, etc.  For a day trip, just the nuts.  Maybe
even nothing if starting out with a good breakfast.