Agree, to me "gravel grinding" is a cringe-worthy misnomer... although I DO
cringe any time I encounter loose gravel *(at which point the 'grinding'
part is spot-on).*

I formally refer to this kind of riding as "combo riding" *(which I'm sure
many of us do as part of any normal ride)*.  A bunch of my friends and I
are planning a special combo ride next weekend from High Point (NJ) to
Blairstown, on a varied mix of XC ski trail, paved road, wooded single
track, dirt road, packed rail trail, and maybe even a little unplanned
improv if the road/trail (on the map) no longer exists in the real world...
these rides can get a bit crazy, so we've affectionately dubbed them
"mutant" rides... They're my absolute favorite.

BB