The VO rack came with the rubber coated ones. Too tight.

So I got a "14" size from LBS  that looks like the Riv type with the thick
rubber strips on the inside.
When installed, the rack is solid. But if I looked down along the fork
 blade (clamp is about 4 or so inches below fork crown) I could see
daylight along the sides of the clamp, but the front and back are tight,
and the clamp was tight to bring the tabs together, so I figure it is the
right size. But I could wiggle the clamps by hand when it was just the
clamps.

I put one turn of bartape around the fork, and that filled the daylight
sliver gaps, and although the rack is solid, I can still wiggle the clamp
by hand if I pull on it. If I grab the rack and pull up and down I detect
no movement..