Part of the problem here is that the roads aren’t wide enough in many places to
accommodate a bike lane. Basically, there’s the travel lane and the concrete
gutter. I of course steer clear of piles of stuff like the one in my photo, but
the “sweeping” action of the cars tends to move the flat-causing stuff just far
enough to be where the cyclists are forced to ride.

Out in the country, the roads tend to be a little wider—enough space to have a
reasonably sized bike lane.

This may be a US thing as well. In two editions of PBP, I have never had a
single flat. The roads there are much, much cleaner than they are here. Years
of budget cutting have led to the poor conditions of our roads, both in terms
of the pavement itself and its maintenance.

—Eric N
campyonly...@me.com
www.campyonly.com
www.wheelsnorth.org