This year, I've retrograded back to traditional quill pedals and toe
clips. I started out with toe clips decades ago, succumbed to clipless
in 1998, vascillated between clipless and toe clips once or twice a
year, and this season, I've been all toe clip.

At first, the retro switch came this spring when they started some
serious road rebuilding where I live, making it necessary to walk my
bike here and there (due to sharing narrow, temporary construction
pathways with pedestrians). This rammed home what I've already known
for years, and that is, walkable SPD or compatible shoes are not all
that walkable except on the most perfectly smooth and even surfaces. A
few too many crunching sessions made me decide to put my old Campy
quill pedals back on, so I could ride with any ordinary athletic shoe.
I've liked the freedom so much since that I have no intention of
reverting back to clipless.

Look, I like to ride fast, I spin and all that, but I know I can do
that just as well with traditional pedals and toe clips.

Pierre