http://www.whitesboots.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=444

Whites Smokejumper Boots have high heels, and I always thought they looked
like old granny gunshooter boots..and a few years ago I was at a trade
show, stopped at the Whites booth, and I asked the guy there hey, why the
scary granny heels that look ancient feminine but kind of wicked? He'd
worked there 30 years and was now top dog, and told me in this case,  it's
for running down steep hills trying to escape a chasing fire. The high heel
hits the ground sooner and has a leveling effect on the hill, so you don't
get pushed forward downward as much. We all hope Deacon Patrick didn't
totally wreck and discard the heels, in case he's up against that.

On a primal-primate-sex note (now you're all paying attention), read
chapter two of The Naked Ape. Same kinda stuff. The Naked Ape was a big
book in the '70s, author Desmond Morris is still alive, I think. The book
explains........stuff. I'll leave it at that, you're on your own.