I have owned several pairs of Whites Smokejumpers, and have hiked many many
miles in them. In my experience, when travelling over rough trails or cross
country with heavy loads(>50lbs) the heels seem to help with back and foot
strain, especially when travelling down steep slopes. The high arch also helps
prevent slips and falls on roots and branches much like in a stirrup. The only
time I had to run away from a forest fire it was on flat ground so I can't
vouch for that particular use.

Brendan