For me tire preference is a funny thing. I generally like to buy cheaper
tires (perhaps like most), unless I know exactly what I need for a
particular bike in which case I say spare no expense. But when I'm just not
sure I much prefer to experiment with cheaper tires (and I have found some
that are a great value).  One low-risk, low-cost option I opted for on my
Cimarron was the Nashbar Fuel (26' small block knobby) - I have been riding
these for the past 6 months or so and have been so far pleased.  For
fast-rolling and cushiness I prefer the Schwalbes ( Kojak, Fat Frank or Big
Apple...none of which work well in sloppy conditions). But for about $18
apiece and with a good balance of all around roll, cushiness AND off-road
traction, the Fuels are definitely working well for me.