I second what Chris L said regarding geometry.  The repack/klunker geometry
makes for a decent cruiser, but isn't as readily adapted for drops.

More aggressive "NORBA" geometry came a couple years later, around 87-88.
 71 head / 74 seat tube angle is characteristic NORBA.  My '88 Schwinn KOM
has that geometry and it rides superbly with drop bars and a dirt drop stem.

Unfortunately, those are the same years that the MTB manufacturers decided
to start making welded frames instead of lugs (much easier to update
geometry without the constraint of lugs, I guess), so finding a lugged
frame with better geometry is tough.  I'd prioritize the geometry over the
lugs, but I'm lucky that my KOM has both.

And then a few years later, suspension forks (and the requisite geometry)
became the thing, especially for the top-end bikes.

The Trek 9xx "singletrack" series held out as steel and rigid for longer
than many (lugged til '93, TIG after), so keep an eye out for them.  All
their catalogs are on http://www.vintage-trek.com/ (along with Fisher and
Klein), so it's usually pretty easy to date those bikes.  I'd shoot for
88-89 and newer, rigid fork models.

That also puts you firmly into the 7-speed / 130 mm OLD era (circa about
89).

I had success in converting a 90s TIG-ed Univega Alpina 504 into a drop bar
gravel tourer for my girlfriend.  The frame is full DB cro-mo, with good
geometry and tons of clearance.  No lugs, but it is purple!  She loves how
tough that bike feels without feeling slow.

Cheers,
Tim