Drilling a hole for a lighting wire should only void the warranty if that
is what causes the problem. So if your frame fails, and the crack clearly
started at the hole, you wouldn't want to make a warranty claim. But if
your frame fails where the downtube enters the bottom bracket shell, no
reputable company will claim that drilling a hole in the headlug somehow
caused that failure... (And Rivendell is a reputable company.)

It's interesting when I show around people who've never been inside a frame
shop. They are shocked at what they see – all the frame parts are
discolored from soaking off the flux. After brazing the frames get aligned
by yanking on them with brute force. To the untrained eye, it all looks
very rough. Yet the frames are stronger than what you could make in an
aseptically clean factory... So drilling a tiny hole in the headlug (away
from any stressed areas, of course) isn't a big deal.

Speaking of not aseptically clean factories, during a recent visit to
Panaracer, we got to meet quite a few of the engineers. It was very
encouraging to see that many had rubber stains on their shirts, indicating
that they actually made prototype tires and were involved in the making of
things! Same thing at Nitto... If you only get to meet the guys in suits
with clean hands, it always a bad sign!

Jan Heine
Editor
Bicycle Quarterly