I have tubeless tires on all four of my 650b bikes. I've used the following
640b tires tubeless: Hetre, Pari Moto, Babyshoe Pass Extralight, Quasi Moto,
Racing Ralph, Thunder Burt, Maxxis Ardent Race. I use tubeless compatible rims
with Stan's tape and Stan's sealant and more recently Orange Seal sealant. I do
not use an air compressor. A high-volume floor pump like the Lezyne Dirt Drive
works fine for mounting the tires. Regarding this subject, your LBS is spouting
hogwash.

David G in San Diego