I've got a more substantial project on the horizon to make home-made
shifter booties.  I don't have a whole lot to share about that, but I went
ahead and did a little proof of concept mini-project and dipped my Suntour
Sprint retrofriction shifters in two coats of Plasti-Dip.  This is a rubber
product you buy at the hardware store to make handles for your tools.
Anyway:

Before <https://www.flickr.com/photos/45758191@N04/15859930641>

And, of course:

AFTER <https://www.flickr.com/photos/45758191@N04/15935987643>

Clearly this will make me ride much faster