So this happened:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/42027576@N00/16755657141/

Things have a funny way of falling into place. As it turns out, my Hilsen
found a new home with a fellow artist in one of the most enjoyable
interactions. Didnt plan it, but had a ball with the new owner during our
email volleys.

Unexpectedly I was in the market for a used Atlantis frame. I had a
collection of parts ready, but was in no hurry. My knee is still bummin,
snow is piled up, and my Rambler is at the ready as my do all number one
slotted steed. I realized 56 frames tend to be pretty hot when they pop up
so I figured it could be a while.

Not to be lazy, I did a quick history search on the bay to see if they even
popped up there. Call it fate, but there was a 56 that had just been
relisted. I made a few inquiries regarding a frame only sale, but suddenly
found myself the owner of a complete bike.

The way it's built is pretty far off from how I planned to use it, but it
dawned on me that I'd never experienced what I would call a pretty typical
Rivendell build. I tend to keep my bikes extremely minimalist. A seat bag,
or handlebar bag is about it. Even then I stick with easily removable
offerings. If it's not going to get used EVERY ride, I do not like it
bolted to my bike. This thing had front and rear racks, dyno lighting,
fenders, noodle bars, brooks tape, and dual brake levers. AKA overload for
me. HOWEVER. I had warmed up to the idea of giving fenders a try and tried
to fit a set of SKS to another bike, but gave up extremely frustrated an
hour into the rear fender. I was also a little intrigued with dyno lighting
despite very rarely riding in the dark. It was more of a bike geek thing,
and the fact that my Rambler is built for it. That said, this Atlantis was
already outfitted with everything and ready to go so I decided to give it a
go. This is my off the cuff review of a few items that regularly find place
on Rivendell bikes, but are my first experience with them. I did a few
rides. Both road and dirt, wet and dry, day and night. Maybe 75 mi total.

Fenders. WHOO BOY, I don't like fenders! They drive me absolutely batty.
Maybe it's my inexperience, but for something I expected to just "be"
there, they negatively affected my riding. My foot kept hitting the front
and both fenders caught going down curbs / over stuff. Also the noise of
the pebbles rattling up through them kept me unnerved the whole time
especially in the dark. I expect I would get used to that over time, but
honestly I'd rather be covered in mud. The SKS also look really wonky and
crooked despite messing with them for far too long. I plan to run fat
knobbies that would not fit fenders anyway, so they are now in a pile with
the other pair I had.

Lighting. Disclaimer: I know extremely little about dyno systems. I'm
vaguely familiar with Schmidt and Supernova as brands, but have no clue
where the SON (Classik?) and E3 lights on the bike fit in the world of
lumens. So this is a total newbie take as well. First off, I was shocked at
the amount of resistance the hub offered trying to turn it by hand. I was
sure it was wrong/broken/bad bearings. After a little reading, it is
apparently normal because of the magnetic resistance, but greatly
diminishes with the wheel in the frame and rolling. OK. Secondly, I was
really shocked at how bright those little things are! WOW, it was awesome
to cruise around the neighborhood at night! Keep in mind, the light I use
maybe once every two years is a Cateye clamp on with an incandescent bulb
and runs on 2 C cell batteries. I have 2 or three of them circa 1994-5. So
yea...maybe a little behind on the tech. Am I hooked? Still undecided. If
so, it would get moved to the Rambler for multiple reasons. It would most
likely be used for early morning or evening rides for coffee/camping. It
also has provision for internal routing and cable guides on the fork. The
zip tied wires all over the Atlantis are a no go.

Racks. The Nitto campee is essentially the same Marks rack I have been
using. It's simple, stout, and perfectly handles my Swift Ind x Ocean Air
Docena bag. I do like the integrated single strut to fork hole mount. It's
clean and feels sturdy. Although that is sort of negated by the p-clamps
needed for the Atlantis fork. But hey, it's Nitto, looks great, works well,
fits perfect and wins a spot on the bike. The rear rack is quite insane.
It's a Tubus Cosmo. I think I could tow my car with it. Although a
different vibe than the nitto, it is easily as nice in fit and finish. I
have owned a big nitto rear rack and it got used exactly twice in two
years. Completely overkill for my use. It got traded or sold for something.
The Tubus honestly feels beefier I'm sure due to the larger diameter
tubing. The Supernova tail light fits the rack with precision. Like they
were made for each other. If my romantic dreams of multi day camping tours
ever come to reality, this would be the rack to have. As it is, it too has
been removed and will require further pondering. As nitto plays elegant,
tubus plays sleek industrial.

Cockpit. This is my second try with Noodles and like the first time, I
couldnt seem to find the right spot for the hoods. To reach the levers in
the drops, the hoods are too low. I like a really flat ramp to hood and
just cant get it. The Cane Creek levers DO get the closest though. Old
style 600 levers exaggerate the issue for me. Interrupter levers...nope.
Didnt use them, and they just clutter up the bar and complicate and add
friction to the main levers. They'll go when I swap bars. Brooks leather
bar tape. This is one of those items I would never spring for but always
wanted to try. My first thought was it seemed really slick, as in slippery.
And the color looked really light. I think this bike may have spent some
time as a window display and the sun has dried it out a touch. The brake
cables running under it also make it feel super fat even compared to cork
tape. I have not checked, but it almost feels like it's got a wrap under
it. Stay tuned for results on that, but I'm wondering if I should treat it
with proofide or obenaufs? I still see it as a total chi-chi thing, but I
suppose thats all relative considering the bike it's on. Maybe I'll stick
it on my wifes mixte where it will most likely not get crashed and torn up.

So in the end my testing has been minimal, but it's certainly interesting
to try out a different approach from time to time. I think this bike, as
is, represents a very common build amongst Rivendells and could be
considered a loose standard. So in that respect it has been enlightening to
experience the thing as it was intended. My build will be decidedly more
dirt oriented, but the ability to do so is what makes these so cool!