As someone who rode Mara Supreme 33's for years and switched to Barlow Passes
on my Hillborne, I would emphatically recommend you get Barlow Passes, and get
the extra-lights. I was amazed at how my bike suddenly "came alive" when I
switched to these, after years of suffering from paranoia that glass would
destroy my tires (problematic in a college town) and that running tires at
maximum pressure made me faster.

I run the Barlows at 38 pounds in the front and 42 in the back and the ride is
terrific, whether on pavement or gravel. I have not gotten a single flat in
several thousand miles of riding these, and I still live in a college town with
devolved children who still like to throw bottles in the street. I think fat,
fast and light is a great combination and I don't think you can get a better
tire than the Compass for predominantly road riding. The Marathons, on the
other hand, are waaaaay overbuilt for most people (IMO), and the extra width of
a 38 vs. a 33 will help with flat resistance.