Yes , Wheels are an Investment. As important as the frame , to me. And a
good wheel is only as good as it's weakest part .

I've always used FW's and am not sure if I'll ever use a cassette hub or
not.  To me the FW system is preferred because of it independence .  The FW
mechanism, often the most vulnerable part of the wheel, is not dependent on
the (ever changing)hub model or manufacturer, it's universal . With
cassettes everything it proprietary , un-universal .  Pros and cons to each
for sure :) .

Phil FW hubs are still the bees knees for me though .  Years ago I asked
Joe Young what hubs he preferred and why and he told me PW because of
design and thickness of the flange , it said it just made for a better
wheel to him.   I asked him why  he didn't sell Shimano hubs , and his
reasoning was about the same as mine .... cartridge bearing hubs have been
around since the 70's , who wants to mess with cups and cones anymore when
you don't have to ?  And they did not build as nice to him as the PW :)