<https://thebikesmiths.com/uploaded/thumbnails/db_file_img_4941_500xauto.jpg>
Tim ,  When changing from the pre cartridge days to the present BB's it's
not always so simple as just saying "my old BB is a 124 so that's what I'll
get" .

  First of all, while JIS is a standard, different brands and models do not
always set in the crank arms the same. You may have to try multiple brands
or lengths and spacers to get it dialed in.  I've found sometimes it helps
to go with a slightly longer spindle , like in your case, the 127, because
it has more inherent length on the drive side, meaning less or no spacers
at all. This may or may not lead to a few mm's extra on the left, which is
of no concern .  We're talking millimeters here , not centimeters , a few
here are there are unnoticed .

Here is the Tange BB chart, for example, it's very useful and you could
download it for keeping.  I believe Shimano BB's also use these proportions
.