Patrick:

First of all, congratulations on turning what would be a disaster (to me)
into "just part of the adventure".  As they say, attitude is everything.

FWIW, you may be a candidate for stainless steel chainrings, given your
riding conditions.

Climate is a major factor in chain life.  From posts here & on other sites,
riders in wet climates can blow thru chains in a few months, while here dry
SoCal a chain can go well over a year.  If you get into dirt and road grit,
it's like grinding compound on the cassette and chainrings.  And it's weird
how visible cog wear seems to appear all of a sudden.  Once the drivetrain
start slipping and skipping, a lot of stuff is worn out.

I know riders who love to squeeze that list mile out of components, but as
someone pointed out, this can land you in the ER.  Since I've taken to
replacing chains every 2-3k miles, cassettes & rings last much longer.  A
chain is $20-$30 part that can be changed out in a few minutes in the
comfort of home.  After you do it a couple of times, you can even wiggle
the pesky power link apart without tools.

dougP