One thing to consider is that owning a Rivendell is different than owning
any other bike in my experience of one. On a Rivendell you can think you
wanted a road bike and possibly get a Hillsen. But something magical
happens as you ride roads. A Rivendell enhances our senses so we can hear
the back roads and trails calling out to us. Pass a dirt road and the beast
pauses a crank, dips and tilts her head, longing to answer the siren's call.

You will find you ride more terrain that you realized you wanted to. It
will be astonishingly fun. You may even want to try that whacky S24O
camping thing. After all it's one night and great adventure can happen in
one night, down those beckoning roads and trails. So my suggestion is what
Grant guided me toward, without actually saying it. Get a bike that you can
ride the roads just fine with and that can handle the rough and loaded
stuff too. If you end up "needing" a road specific bike after that, that
means you are riding a lot and what a grand success to be enjoying a bike
so much you "need" another! Grin.

With abandon,
Patrick