Re: Supermotos vs. Big Apples:

The Big Apples are wire bead with a Kevlar (or similar) belt for flat
protection. In 26"/559, they come in 2.0"(50mm), 2.15"(55mm), and
2.35"(60mm).

The Supermotos are a folding bead with no anti-flat belt. I'm relatively
sure that in 26", they come only in 2.35"/60mm, and must be imported from
the EU. I think they can be found in 29" size domestically.

I have experience with Big Apples in 26x2.0" and 2.15" and they are suberb,
but I am absolutely in love with the 26"x2.35" Supermotos. I had them on my
heavy-as-a-tank touring bike and I felt they were a definite improvement
over the Big Apples in both suppleness and rolling resistance (could be
entirely psychological, of course), and since moved the pair to my newest
project, a Surly Troll with Woodchipper drop bars. I swear that bike rolls
so smoothly and sweetly that I'm questioning my need for a separate road
bike at all. Seeing Jan Heine and Rawland announce their new foray into big
smooth 26" rubber just as I was putting the finishing touches on that bike
was kind of vindicating - I'd been calling myself a 26" apologist up to
that point!

Daniel M
Berkeley, CA