There will be friction otherwise the cable tension will move your
lever.Sounds like you are doing everything correctly so far.After
installing your cable and have adjusted the tension make sure your lever
doesn't move on its own.Make sure the hex screw is lose enough to allow
comfortable shifting and tight enough to keep it from moving on it's own.
Hope that helps.