Ron,

On the old Rovers to which I'm referring, the steel chassis we're painted, and
the steel body cappings were galvanized; the zinc coating was much closer to
aluminum and wouldn't suffer galvanic corrosion.  But on locations where a
non-galvanized steel bracket was riveted to the aluminum body tub, there is
usually massive amounts of corrosion of the aluminum.  I've replaced many
aluminum Rover body panels due to the amount of corrosion present.

I wasn't calling you out in reference to what's happening in bikes;  only
countering the statement that aluminum/steel galvanic corrosion is a myth: it's
not a myth, it's fact.

Thinking about it further, another significant difference between a what
happens in a Rover and a bicycle is that there are currents present in a
vehicle, w/ the engine/battery, starter/alternator, lighting/wiring, ground
connections, etc...

On a bicycle (well, unlit bicycles), there shouldn't be any electrical currents
present, at least not in a considerable amount.  I think that's why aluminum
against painted steel on a bike doesn't have a problem, the way Rovers can.