On Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 8:58:18 AM UTC-7, Andrew Drummond wrote:

> Sounds like you'll be here for Pedalpalooza - lots of fun rides are
> scheduled. Aside from that, I'd recommend Leif Erickson Rd. in Forest Park
> (steep climb up paved then dirt roads from St. Helens/Hwy. 30 up to the
> trail, then 9-10 miles back to town through the woods) and Apex on Division
> (I think) if you're into beer. They have an ungodly assortment on tap.
>
> http://www.shift2bikes.org/cal/viewpp2015.php

I second the Pedalpalooza and Leif Erickson recommendation, though for
Leif, I'd enter it via the NW Thurman trailhead on the south end of the
park. The first 1 1/2 or so miles is really rough, which isn't so bad when
you're climbing, but for descending...well, I guess it's a good check to
see if there are any loose parts on your bike and/or loose fillings in your
mouth! And if you go south-north, you get a beautiful mile descent on paved
Germantown Road, then you can cross over the Willamette River via St. Johns
Bridge. Occidental Brewing is located just under the bridge on the St.
Johns side.

Someone above mentioned Mt. Tabor. I'd also recommend hitting up two of the
other eastside volcanic buttes: Rocky Butte for its view and Powell Butte
for its natural splendor (and view!)

And check out Hopworks Bikebar on N Williams Ave.

yours,
Shawn