One of my bikes is a lovely custom Franklin "sport/touring" frame from
1999 , made with Reynolds 531 ST(super tourist) , which is slightly heavier
than the C , competition .   I had it made intending it as a road bike and
used it like that for many years .  A few years ago I changed the setup
completely with a high stem and Alba bars and all  .  All I can say is it
rides like dream, even with 35mm tires .  My Bombadil by contrast, feels
like a tank, stiff,, regardless of the tires.  The 531 ST steel , with long
chainstays and TT make for a much more "supple" ride than the Bombadil .
To me, a near perfect balance between stiffness and suppleness .

So yes .... lighter bikes can easily be used with high bars and all , and
you don't need big (40mm +) tires either , as if the frame is done right it
is naturally more compliant over rough-er roads .