On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 8:20:17 PM UTC-7, JohnS wrote:

> Hello donavanm,
>
> Having your bike stolen sucks, hopefully you can get a new set of wheels
> soon. Here's a couple of suggestions for you.
>
> High Option: If you don't come across a QB/S1 any time soon, I would
> recommend the 2012 Salsa Casseroll. I bought one last spring when I
> couldn't find a QB/S1. The Casseroll was NOS and was available at an
> independent bike shop that's about an hour from my house. Great bike, very
> similar geometry, feel and features as the QB/S1, canti brakes, chromoly
> frame, light touring geometry, semi-horizontal drop outs, lots of braze on
> mounting points for racks, fenders, three water bottles and frame peg. The
> Riv Little Big Bens fit, fillet brazed not lugged. I paid $700 for the
> frame, fork and custom front rack. I'm using it as my commuter and have it
> set up fixed. The QB that I bought this year came with custom wheels built
> up with Phil Wood hubs which are very nice. I replaced the QB rear wheel
> with the two speed fixed Bendix and mounted the Phil hub rear wheel on the
> Casseroll. I did have to change the end caps to match the Casseroll 130
> OLD. The Casseroll had a limited production run and are kind of rare, so it
> might be just as hard to find as a QB/S1.
>
> http://salsacycles.com/bikes/archive/2012_casseroll

Ironically my Simpleone replaced a 2007 casseroll that was my single speed
commuter that replaced my previous stolen commuter. I havent used one of
the canti models, but Ill keep an eye out. One of the features that I
really really really want is the front fork high rack mount braze ons ala
rivendell. Besides riv the only other folks that I know commonly spec'ing
them are soma and velo orange.

> Low Option: As you had mentioned another option would be to build up an
> old touring bike. I have an Azuki Elite frame/fork which I think is late
> '70's that I would be willing to sell for $50 plus shipping. It's 62cm
> chromoly lugged touring frame that was made in Japan. Semi-horizontal drop
> outs and eyelets for fenders, but none for racks nor water bottles.
> Requires center pull or side pull brakes, not canti. Rear OLD is 126mm. Red
> paint polished up nicely, but it does have some scratches. Azuki was make
> by Kawamura (Nishiki) for West Coast Cycle. I think building it up as a
> Frankin bike using the S1 fork and a Paul racer rear brake would be pretty
> cool. Let me know if you're interested, I can provide pictures.

Thanks! I'll take a looksee at that frame and follow up! If it's a beater
anyways I wont have to worry about the paint. I can get new braze ons and
canti mounts done locally.