I think Mike's point isn't about price savings  but more about small
boutique manufacturers who sell direct to the consumer and are pushing the
envelope on design & function. As with the dearth of bicycle frame
builders/companies a similar renaissance is happening in the out door gear
arena. My .02.

Tailwinds,

~Hugh