I am glad someone brought up group riding.

Without castigating those who ride with blinking rear lights, I will say
that on group rides such as brevets where there is extended nighttime
riding, such blinking taillights are not acceptable. They are very
annoying, and can even be dangerous to some.
When it's hard to stay awake in the middle of the night, a blinking light
can have a hypnotic effect.
I won't ride with such cyclists that have these.

But I expect few on this list do extended nighttime group riding.

Eric Peterson