I was just talking to someone on the CR list about the area east roughly of
the Mulholland HW and Las Virgines road intersection, where 40 years ago
there were a number of winding, hilly, very well built canyon roads perfect
for energetic cycling.

Are any of y'all familiar with riding here? I suppose that in the last 40
years the entire landscape has been filled with tract housing.

My college, Thomas Aquinas, now just outside of Santa Paul, at the time
('73-'77) rented the ex-Claretian seminary occupying the lovely grounds of
the old Gillette mansion (I think it's now a state park). Across Las
Virgines was the old Fox Ranch (where I worked as a night watchman to keep
cows and vandals off the Swiss Fam Rob and Mash sets) and hit 70 mph on the
tiny, winding dirt tracks on Fox lot beaters at 3 am. (We destroyed many
vehicles that way -- great fun.)

Anyway. There was a coterie of roadies who would share these canyon roads
(Cold Canyon? Liberty Canyon?) with the choppers on weekends; an ex student
from TAC got into trouble by taking a brakeless track bike up into those
hills.*

I myself was then sans bike; I'd sold my 10 speed when returning to the US,
but I'd borrow bikes and ride the canyons -- great fun. I recall once
bombing down Mullholland Hwy on the other side of Las Virgines on the way
to the Woodland Hills shopping center, and being passed (after a long
pursuit) by a motor vehicle whose drive yelled, "You hit 45!"

At the Woodland Hills shopping center, along the Ventura Fwy, there as a
bike shop that had a very early CF bike in the window.

*Doug Gilles, whose family owned at the time a well known Santa Monica bike
shop -- Helen's? He was an ill fit at conservative Catholic TAC, with
shoulder length hair and Buddhist beliefs. One anecdote: the college, a
very small startup at the time, had its coterie of devotees of the more
marginal and exotic old fashioned Catholic cults. One Halloween Gilles went
around the dorm rooms dressed up as the Infant of Prague. He'd knock on
doors and say, "Bless you my child" and then hit the occupant on the head
with his scepter. Gilles was 6'3" and 300 lb at the time (he lost weight by
the time he had the track bike accident).

Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten

*The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a
circumference on the rim of which all conditions, distinctions, and
individualities revolve. *Chuang Tzu

*Kinei hos eromenon. It moves as the being-loved. *Aristotle

*The Love that moves the Sun and all the other stars. *Dante