It would be interesting to ride two bikes that are identical except for
maybe 8-10cm difference in chainstay length.

My Devil has forward facing dropouts and I can change the CS length from
about 43.5 to 45 and I can feel a difference.  I prefer the way the bike
rides at 45cm.  My Trek has 43cm CS and I prefer that bike over the Devil.
 I think the difference is front-end geometry.  I prefer MTB geometry and
the Devil has road bike geometry.  The steering is too quick and twitchy
for my tastes and the longer chainstay setting provides some sense of
stability, that is reassuring to me.  The Trek has MTB geometry and the
front-end feels fine to me and I think the shorter back-end makes for a
more agile and sporty ride, which I like.   I'm going to say tentatively
that I prefer shorter chainstays but I would still love to do the
experiment I mentioned at the first of this post.  It would be very
enlightening.