One thought... Are you sure the little black plastic Dia Compe washer under
the D ring is mounted correctly (notch in slot)? It's really easy for it to
slip out when installing the shifter and trying to hold all the pieces in
place while screwing the bolt in. If the washer isn't in right, the shifter
will act up, ghost shift, loosen, and generally be a PITA.